Monday, April 12, 2010

Getting to know my BLM: Nuking Gear.

Ever since we joined up with BBQ, I have been on BLM more and more. It's not my favorite job but it's not my least favorite either. BBQ likes to use BLM for a lot of mobs, and I am fine with that. It has just meant that I have had to move BLM merits up in my priorities, and that I might have to change what I want to get from my points in the LS but that is a discussion for another day.

BLM more than almost any other jobs need more "sets" of gear. Elemental, enfeebling, enhancing, standing, etc. Elemental and nuking sets are by far the most common set of gear and probably get the most focus from most BLM to start with. Mine is mediocre, and could still use a lot of improvement. A nuking set can vary based on the mob that you are fighting at the time but for the most part it tries to get a good combination of Elemental Skill, INT and Magic Attack bonus to ensure the highest damage without getting resisted.

Check below the cut to see how I set up my nuking set for my BLM.

I will not be coy here. I am not the best BLM in the world. I am getting better though, and I am always looking for more information to try to be the best player I can be. While this post doesn't fall into the "On the Cheap" series, I am in general very cheap when it comes to my BLM so you might be able to use it in the same way.

Head: Wizard's Petasos
A good middle of the road and easy item to get. You are going to have it from leveling anyway, may as well use it until you get something substantially better. The Wizard's Petasos +1 is a good standard upgrade if you do Limbus, and the Sorcerer's Petasos is great if Dynamis doesn't hate you.

Neck: Right now I am using my Elemental Torque to good effect. In the last update the Aesir Torque and Lemegeton Medallion were added and are definitely worth looking into in the near future. The Uggalepih Pendant is still your best choice for nuking under 50% MP.

Earrings: I don't find picking Earrings to be too hard or the Earrings themselves to be too helpful. I am sure I will get a lot of suggestions here but I currently use the standard issue Moldavite Earring and then a Cunning Earring because it is cheap. There are a ton of alternatives, some of which can get pretty expensive for a very small upgrade. I also have a Diamond Earring with a +2 Magic Attack Bonus on it from doing one of the mini-expansions. It's filling the hole for now, but once I get the points I am investing them into a Novio Earring.

Body: Igqira Weskit is the trade mark nuking body for BLM. There are lots of other options with small upgrades, and the Morrigan's Robe is probably the best upgrade that you can get even though the cost is still amazingly high.

Hands: I am luckily enough (or have been doing Salvage long enough) to have a set of Morrigan's Cuffs for my BLM. I think this is pretty much the best option available but the Zenith Mitts and the Vicious Mufflers are suitable replacements.

Rings: My rings are pretty gimp. I am using a Diamond Ring and an Omega Ring, neither of which I am too proud of. I really should get Snow Rings but man, at a cool half mil I can't really afford them right now. The Omega Ring definitely has more Magic Accuracy than my Diamond Ring, but it will be relegated if I get Snow Rings or eventually get a Galdr Ring.

Back: Generally considered to be an Elemental Skill slot because of the Merciful Cape I am using it as an INT slot because I don't have that cape yet. The Gleeman's Cape from Einherjar points is my favorite right now. I do think I will prefer the Merciful Cape though because that is a 45 MP turn around from the Gleeman's Cape and my BLM MP is a joke.

Waist: One of my rare high dollar BLM purchases is the Penitent's Rope, hey it was more expensive a while ago! The Witch Sash is definitely better, in fact it is best in slot, but the difference in price just don't meet the different in stats. I have bigger fish to fry.

Legs: In short order I will be getting my Morrigan's Slops completed, which are going to replace my Mahatma Slops. The price trade off for that exchange is going to be quite favorable.

Feet: Ugh, not a lot of good choices for BLM to begin with, but I don't even really have one of the good choices. I am rocking Rostrum Pumps right now, but I still dream of finally getting Yigit Crackows. They are good nuking feet, but with my lower INT (no jokes) and lack of merits right now, I am still hoping to pick up Shrewd Pumps but it may take a while.

And there you have a list of what I have and want. Yeah, it's not comprehensive but I think it's a good starting point. If you have suggestions, I would love to hear them as I am still learning the job and I want to learn as much as I can!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

feet you could get the cobra crackows,
given there's better gear but it's a nice "inbetween" till you get other pieces
Cobra Crackows
[Feet] All Races
DEF:10 HP+22 MP+22 "Magic Atk. Bonus"+3 "Conserve MP"+3 Set: Increases Magic Accuracy
LV 68 WHM BLM RDM BRD SMN BLU PUP SCH


it's what I'm using on my BLM

75K AN for non-Windy people
50K AN for windy people

worth to get till you can manage tog et yigit ^^

Anonymous said...

All right! BLM posts by Ringthree (it's about time >_> ) All this melee stuff makes my taru-waru head hurt all over!

Anyway, it's good to see someone using their brain and making proper trade offs. As for footwear, I'm also in the R.Pumps boat. Haven't done enough assault for Yigit and haven't done nyzul. I'm assuming you knew about the cobra crack but saved the AN since you knew you'd possibly obtain those S.Pumps. It's a pity not to see you go all out but not everyone can or wants to.

Looking forward to future BLM entries!

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to mention that (IMO) the most common set of gear for BLM is hmp. Back then it starts with (Baron's Slops if you could afford them) then you obtain Seer's Tunic and later on a Dark Staff. Because of that, it also introduces a lot of BLMs into using the macro system.

Nowadays BLMs have even more options available to them early on. Unlike other sets, the hmp set is always carried with you for every situation. Although not the best, I like mine a lot and value its importance.

What do you use for hmp? It's one of the easier and cheaper sets to make.