Friday, October 06, 2006

Sorry, 100k is STILL not a lot of gil.

Ugh. I have a horrible kink in my neck so this is taking longer than normal.

Sky was interesting yesterday, as I came as SAM. This was only the second day I have even come to Sky as anything but DRG. It also wasn't the best day in Sky history, so I probably wont be doing that again. LOL At least the drops were good. Here you can see my SAM taking on Suzaku:
After Sky I went with Az, Ice and Luce to get some xp on my SAM. At first the Mire was pretty full and there was a party that was hogging up to 5 mobs at once. I mean I dont mind the idea that the stronger parties can dominate a zone, but at least keep your mobs red, or someone might try to steal them, or even worse Dia them. But we were able to keep a normal xp rate until they left, and after that it was the land of milk and honey. We got a couple of chains into the 20's, which was pleasing. And I got about 20k on my Sam. I will probably be xping alot tonight, I would very much like to be a good chunk into 73 and be at least 74 by the end of the weekend and 75 next week so I can start meritting on my NIN again. I would like to get maxed out Overwhelm and Ikishoten, especially considering the coming changes for SAM and RNG.

Speaking of which, I have been lusting over finding one of these for the last couple of days: I am convincing myself that after the update we will be able to return to the SAM/RNG set ups that were gaining popularity right before the RNG nerf. The Shigeto Bow is not the highest damage bow available for SAMs but it is close. More important than the base damage, though, are the stats on the bow. SAMs only have a C+ in Archery, which means we have to stack up on alot of Ranged Accuracy, even if it means losing other stats that I would normally prefer. This is why the Shigeto Bow is so nice. The +15 Ranged Attack is very nice, but it is specifically designed for SAMs because of the SAM-only bonus of +7 Ranged Accuracy.

There is another item that I think will be a "must have" for subbing RNG on my SAM, a Soboro Sukehiro: This is the Ridill for SAMs. Well it isn't that strong, but it is still wonderful if you are using it with /RNG. TP building will be much easier and as the damage being done will come from Sidewinder and not normal weaponskills the lack of base damage is pretty irrelevent. This is the gear that I will be looking at for my SAM/RNG set up.

TP Build:
Weapon: Soboro Sukehiro
Ranged: Shigeto Bow
Ammo: Demon Arrows
Head: Optical Hat
Neck: Merman's Gorget (Maybe Spectacles or a Qiqirn Collar)
Earrings: Beater's Earring and Vision Earring
Body: Hachiman Domaru
Hands: Seiryu's Kote
Rings: Marksman's Ring and Sniper's Ring (There are better RA rings here but if I am using my Soboro to build TP then I need to hit with it to be able to gain TP faster. I am new to this those so maybe my accuracy will be high enough for it to not matter.)
Back: Amemet Mantle
Belt: Precise Belt or Royal Knight's Belt +2
Legs: Here I am a bit confused. I will probably start with Jaridah Salvars, as they are the only thing that is easily attainable. The Amir Dirs look very nice as do the Galliard Trousers, but all of those will require some work to get.
Feet: Jaridah Nails (maybe Fuma Sune-ate because of the Agi since I already have them)

WS Build:
Weapon: Soboro Sukehiro
Ranged: Shigeto Bow
Ammo: Demon Arrows
Head: Optical Hat
Neck: Merman's Gorget (Definitely want to get working on my organs for WS Gorgets)
Earrings: Beater's Earring and Vision Earring
Body: Hachiman Domaru
Hands: Seiryu's Kote
Rings: Coral Rings
Back: Amemet Mantle
Belt: Precise Belt or Royal Knight's Belt +2
Legs: Hachiman Haidate
Feet: Hachiman Sune-ate

I will be eating Squid Sushi for the Ranged Accuracy and the Agility. Alternatively I might just stick with Sole for the nice little bonus to STR. I will have to test these out after the update. I should interject at this point that I have kept all of my purchases to around 100-200k, which even in this depressed economy, still IS NOT THAT MUCH GIL.

Which leads us to the title of this thread. I was speaking to my friend Ailee yesterday about my gear selection for DD PLD's. She did not approve, as most of the PLD's I know, of the suggestion that they should have to macro in gear for TP Build and WS. This, I suggest, is the lunacy I mentioned in yesterday's entry to which PLD's have succumb. They believe that different sets of gear are for DD's, and a PLD should never have to subjugate themselves to such a disgrace. I will forgive this because of the brain rattling that most PLD's have received on the way to 75. But there is something I can not accept.

Yes, Ailee, 100k IS NOT THAT MUCH TO PAY FOR GOOD DD GEAR. XD In reality, the set ups I suggested yesterday are not that expensive if they are done at the cheap end. PLD's need experience points like everyone else, in fact they need it more than a regular player. They need to find a way to get that xp like everyone else. Complaining that you dont want to pay 100k for a piece of gear will fall on deaf ears. Don't be gimp, and people will want to xp with you instead of finding something else to do.

Also some of that gear is from Assaults, and speaking of that, I want to do more of them. I very much like the Amir gear, at first I thought it was mostly useless and now that I look back over it, it appears to be much better than I originally thought. Also the Pahluwan gear looks good for my future Corsair, which I will be unlocking tonight. So I am going to be uping the number of Assaults I am doing, maybe setting up a definite schedule for when I will be doing them. If anyone is interested in doing them send me a tell in game. I am going to open Corsair tonight, and then I need to focus on leveling my RNG for my SAM and future COR.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but you miss understand. I dont "dissaprove" of your list, I just find it unreasonable. A significant portion of the list are either limubs, assault, or sky/HNM items. The HNM/sky items assume you have that kind of ls, camp a lot, and have an ls willing to give DD gear to someone who may only have the job of pld over a job that is a traditional DD. Don't see that happening given the rarity of some of those pieces. Maybe some of the sky pieces, but again many ls's have a job based priority system. Assault items are not things you can assume people will have or easily attain, 20k points takes a lot of time to aquire, but like I told you many people will probably get in time.

I also told you I am not going to tie up a ton of my gil in burn gear because it is a lot of gil for the amount of time I spend using that gear, and it really will not change whether or not I get invites. Sorry, but I can find better uses for a few hundred K than on gear I use once a month at best. I have reasonable gear, but don't expect me to put forth more effort for something I genearlly do not get included in. 100k saved on a ring that will be inventory -1 is another 100k I can invest in crafting and use to make more money later (ok lol@ crafting markets... but maybe, someday...). It is not unreasonable to someone who already has things like what you describe or has another job that needs it, but demanding a 3rd and very expensive set of gear (/point dusk gloves) that will gather dust is just not for me given the current state of my finances. To me, 100k is a lot of money to tie up in something I won't use.

I'm not opposed to the idea of pld burn and I think there are reasonable accomodations, but cut PLDs some slack here. You dont invite us. Period. You wont invite us even if we dump millions more into our gear or you would have invited us anyway. Sorry if we don't feel like jumping through hoops for something that our experience says doesnt actually matter.

Ringthree said...

<3 Ailee

Anonymous said...

Dude you will never get a Soboro Sukehiro, D:!

Anonymous said...

Eekkk, i dont know how to spell my own name =(