Friday, October 13, 2006

A shocking realization.

Sorry I wasn’t around yesterday, I will be sporadic in my entries for the next couple of days.

An observation/realization:

I have pretty good gear. Yes, that’s the realization. I’m obsessed with gear if you hadn’t forgotten. Its not god-like. I don’t have a Ridill or a Yin-Yang Robe, but I do have some pretty decent gear, some stuff that is hard to get, some that is expensive, some of it is borrowed… and some of it is blue…

Now, this isn’t one of those obsess over gear posts though, this is more of a reflection of how I got to where I am now, and a look at where I am going. When I first started this game, I was reluctant. I was concerned with the amount of time I would spend because I had heard of my friends that had been sucked into Everquest, and with my addictive personality I was afraid that would be me. Man, I should have embraced it. This game is perfect for my addictive personality, and it’s not like I wouldn’t have obsessed over something else during the time that I have played, debate, cars, whatever. At least with the game I would be doing something I enjoyed, rather than wasting weekend after weekend adjudicating novice debaters on how not to murder the English language. Not wasting hundreds and thousands of dollars to make up fractions of seconds on the course.

I guess that’s my personal justification for the huge amount of time that I dump into the game. LOL

Anyway, after I realized that I loved the game, and the game loved me, I rapid advanced in level as a Dragoon. I did this because of my general impatience with waiting for parties. I must have been very lucky because I got to about level 30 before I had any real wait for a party, but one fateful day I was not invited for over 30 minutes and things were never the same again. I would come home from work and just look for people seeking a party, I wouldn’t even care to wait for a moment to put up my flag. And it was all down hill from there.

I think for me the game would have been more fulfilling if I had just dived in headfirst, instead of being reluctant about my goals. I was even reluctant about joining a sky LS. Why? I don’t know, I wish I had just embraced my enjoyment, rather than avoiding the fun. Ah well, there is no turning back time, even in Vana’diel.

Game play update later today I hope :)

No comments: