Thursday, September 10, 2009

Morning in Vana'diel: A Letter From Sad Samurai

Morning in Vana'diel is your daily dose of FFXI and all things Vana'diel. Give us your thoughts on the interesting topics of the day! Are you a Super Sam? Or are you just Nobungo Nobody? Maybe we can help!

Today we have a letter from a reader that is asking for some advice about his Samurai.

“Dear YANYOK,
I am a Samurai. Samurai as I am told and affirmed throughout the internet universe is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I leveled Samurai so that I would be worshipped as a damage dealing god with the ability to heal the weak, defend the masses and feed the poor. When I finally hit 75 though, the adoration I expected did not arrive. I had outfitted myself with all of the finest Hachiman gear (I do look awesome) and I have enough Store TP to furnish an old folks home’s bottom wiping requirements for months. I even have a great katana named after a demon (or something)! I have been faced with derision and shame, and I don’t know why. I am a Sad Samurai.”

Sad Samurai, I think I can see your problems and they are problems for many new and upcoming Samurais. The problem is that you have no idea what you are doing, and you are just faking it. I will give you three simple suggestions to make your life easier as a Samurai and to help turn that frown upside down.

1. Learn to count – This is the easiest thing to do for a Samurai but also the most neglected by bad Samurai. One of the first things you are going to want to merit as a Samurai is Store TP. With those merits and your base Store TP merits you will need to find another 11 Store TP while you are out there. Start with a Brutal Earring and a Rajas Ring of course, and if you don’t have one, just hang up your Sune-ate right now and bust out that staff and robes. Then pick either Hachiman hands or feet, and use Dusk Gloves or haste feet for the other slot. And there you have it, a 6-hit build. Easy as pie. If you are wearing more than one piece of Hachiman at any time even your momma-Samurai is gonna laugh at you.

2. Sam Subs – Use the right sub job and people won’t wonder if you were dropped on your head as a baby Samurai. Ninja? Just say no. You may think you are so scary awesome that you need not just Seigan and Third Eye but shadows too, but everyone else knows that you are just a poser. Still with WAR or DRG for strictly DD situations or DNC for Campaign. Sure, sure, I am going to get flamed for this one but if you use anything else you are going to make the Samurai Jesus cry.

3. Pretty does not equal good – Those Askar hands look so cool don’t they? Yeah, you definitely are a poser… at minimum use Dusk or Hachiman depending on your set up. And stop whining about the reduced movement speed; just make a macro to swap your hands like everyone else does. Do you have an Askar body? It looks hot, it’s got neat stats, and it’s not as good as a 5-year old body piece. Keep that Haubergeon if you can because that accuracy will help you more than anything else you can get (yes, even haste if you gimp enough).

Well Sad Samurai, I hope that helps you turn from a zero to a hero. Just remember, it’s better to be look funny and kick ass than to look cool and make everyone think you should go in the healing party.

No comments: