Monday, August 31, 2009

Morning in Vana'diel: Goodbye Mr. Booboo.

Morning in Vana'diel is your daily dose of FFXI and all things Vana'diel. Give us your thoughts on the interesting topics of the day! When someone leaves, its a moment to self reflect.

People quit, its the normal cycle of any game. Its a funny thing that we consider a single player game the end of a natural cycle of game play, but in an MMO, someone is "quitting", or giving up is the implication we attach to it.

If you really examine the context of how you feel when someone leaves the game, invariably its from your own perspective, not theirs. You still have things you want to do, goals you wish to achieve and people you want to talk to.

It is hardly unreasonable therefore to want to end your tenure of FFXI if you feel you have reached the targets, or really just don't have the drive and motivation any longer to keep investing the level of time and effort into the game that you have previously.

Even Ringthree has cycles where, with very little new content to get his game buds pulsing, ends up with a waning interest because there are no larger goals he feels he can commit to. That is what the expansions needed to do, but instead they offered a momentary fancy. Perhaps that is the lure that will bring peopel to FFXIV. The thrill of something new to explore. Uncharted shores of adventure and all the new experience that comes with it.

So Mrbooboo is leaving FFXI. He has reached every goal he wanted to reach, the people worth talking to will still keep in contact with him after he leaves, those that are not will fade into a memory that is both bittersweet and happy. I have never been one of those people to cling to your leg if you tell me you are going to leave. I just accept that it is what you want to do. Of course I will miss you, I enjoy your company, or the chats we have. I do however think it is good to know when you have reached your limit.

I wish Mrbooboo all the best with whatever it is he does from now on, he certainly lives an exciting life, if he isn't scaling Everest, he's off on some other trek or another. I hope that he remembers FFXI in a good frame of mind, without the bitterness that some people can take with them, and I applaud him taking this step.

1 comment:

Cholene said...

It is a sad day when someone you have gotten to know leaves. I know I was deeply saddened when Camoern quit due to rl events. In turn, even I have been forced to at least temporarily leave ffxi due to rl events. Though I may never play ffxi again, I very much plan to play ffxiv. Maybe the new game with the unexplored territories and context we will see some of our old friends return. I do hope the leaders of this shell remake Versus in ffxiv. I would very much love to rejoin this group of wonderful people.
~Cholene